Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sometimes you try to be domestic...

and it doesn't work out as planned. Today I really wanted to bake a mocha angel food cake. I called my mom to get the recipe and set off for the store. Upon arriving at BiMart, I discover their pans to be outrageously expensive (not really, only $11, but still). While at BiMart I call Safeway to ask how much the pans are there, I know we have them, I sold one the other day. So I stay on hold for what feels like an eternity, turns out the pans are about $2, so I go across the parking lot to get one. Of course, when I get there the pans seem to have pulled a magic trick of some sort and disappeared. I ask two people where they are, no one can find them. So I buy the stuff I need to make the cake and head back to BiMart where I purchase my pan. Here is where the fun beings.

I get home and get the recipe my mom sent me. I follow directions to mix it, preheat the oven, wash the pan, etc. The batter seems a bit thin, but whatever. I pour it into the pan and turn around and fill the mixing bowl with water. Turning back to the cake, I notice something strange has happend - the cake mix has rushed out the bottom of the pan and is now covering my kitchen counter. I don't know if you have ever tried to clean up angel food cake batter, but it is of a strange consistency and doesn't wipe up well. It also flowed between the counter and the oven. Awesome. So I try to figure out what is wrong, and call my mom. Mom tells me it sounds like everything was done right, so she doesn't know what to tell me. I notice that tube part of the pan is slightly warped. I call BiMart to ask if I can exchange it. They say yes. I get on my bike and ride over there to get a new pan and come home. This pan also seems slightly warped. Great. I put on my thinking cap and decide to put three cookbooks on top of it to flatten it out. This seems to work. I go back to Safeway to get a new box of cake mix (this time Betty Crocker - not that Safeway stuff).

I preheat my oven, mix the mix (this time it seems to be the right consistency), and pray to God as I pour the batter in that it will stay in the pan. It does. Success! I pop it in the oven and set the timer for 35 minutes. I settle down to study while I wait for the cake to bake. About 20 minutes into my book about the early republic of the US I start to smell burning. I get up and peek in the oven only to find that my cake has begun to burn. Super. I pull the cake out and set it upside down on a plate and hope for the best. Its still sitting there.

I'm going to the gym and hopefully when I come back I can get the cake out of the pan and it will be alright. We'll see.

1 comment:

Sara said...

hahaha wow, you're endeavor was eventful!
i hope you're cake was delicious, my bread turned out pretty good i must say. mmmm baking is fun but bad for my body. lol.
yay for being domestic!